by George F. Black, The New York Public Library, New York, 1946, page 765
"TEMPLE - From the village of Temple in the parish of the same name in Midlothian, formerly the principal place of residence of the Knights Templar in Scotland. 'The preceptories or priories of the Knights-Templar were often called Temples, and even manorial residences and estates belonging to them obtained the same appellation. The name consequently passed to the tenant or bailiff of sucha property' [Lower, Patronymica Britannica. Agnes de Tempill held a land in the vill and territory of Elstansfurd in the constabulary of Haddington in 1429... Johannes Tempill had a remission for his share in burning the town of Dunbertane in 1489... William Tempill, canon of the Collegiate Church of Holy Trinity, Edinburgh, appears frequently in record in the first half of the sixteenth century..."